Friday, January 14, 2011

Their Highnesses Cora & Clarice

























(click thumbnail for larger view)
Inks - Copic Multiliners 0.03 & 0.05

This piece has sat on my desk for a little over a week now. It was incredibly frustrating trying to show "terror" as an expression on their faces. I think the problem came from the characters' faces being fairly simple, and I didn't want to add a bunch of lines around the mouth since that made them appear older than they're supposed to be. First they just looked surprised, and then chagrined. These are the final inks, and I went through about 4 expressions each and I'm fairly happy with how they came out. (plus, I was wearing away the paper with erasing them so often!)

These terrified ladies are from Mervyn Peake's "Gormenghast," twins Cora and Clarice Groan. The only way I know how to sum up "Gormenghast" is calling it a cross between Tolkien and a Shakespearean tragedy. Which isn't quite right, but you'll have to read the books yourself!

This piece is for a project I'm putting together with my friend Grace, but I don't want to post more details on it until we're further along. At the risk of sounding trite, stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment