Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Falling Alice

Alice - Adobe Illustrator 5.5
background collage - Adobe Photoshop 5.5

sketch - 3b pencils

I got the inspiration for this piece after finishing the series "Madoka Magica." I'd been hearing people rave about it, but wasn't convinced when I heard it was another magical girl series. I was also not a fan of the extremely simple character designs and how each girls' face looked exactly the same as the next. BUT - I didn't want to be a judgy wudgy before even giving the show a chance.

So I watched the first episode and was kinda, "Mehh-it's alright. Maybe I should give it more of a chance than just the 1st episode." And then I watched the 2nd episode - "Hmmm...it seems to be going somewhere." So I watched the 3rd episode - "HOLY CRAP MIND BLOWN DID THAT JUST HAPPEN!?"

I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it, but take my word for it, this is not your typical magical girl anime. And the character designs now make sense to me. They are purposefully extremely simplistic, because when viewed against the "other world" environment it makes them pop and look incredibly vibrant. The contrast between the girls and their environment is some of the most beautiful artwork I've seen in anime in a long time.


Seeing these characters against their collage-style backgrounds is what gave me the idea for my own "Falling Alice" piece above.

No comments:

Post a Comment