Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Foomi Vegeta

Back in October I picked up one of Kidrobot's DIY blank vinyl toys at Barnes & Noble - the Foomi version. There are several different "characters" of the DIY line, but this little guy caught my eye immediately. Just look at that hairstyle - this has to be Vegeta!


I started my design by sketching out the details on a template on paper first.


Foomi figure, template & Dragon Ball art book for inspiration & reference

I read a few tutorials and reviews online and decided to go with Sharpie paint markers for the colors. You can either use them just like regular markers, or - what I did - "pump" the marker and use a tiny paintbrush. You have to "pump" the markers up and down to get the oil based paint to start flowing. I also learned the hard way that you'll want to use primer. Don't skip this step, its worth the extra time and effort! I painted the body without primer first and was unhappy with the streaks left by my paintbrush. After picking up some Krylon white primer (I got a can for less than $8 at Fred Meyer) and spraying 2 coats, you couldn't even tell I was using a paintbrush; there wasn't a single streak, it just looked like flat color.

my supplies: paintbrushes, Sharpie paint markers, white & flesh toned acrylic paint,
water cup, Foomi figure, paper towels and cone-shaped styrofoam stand


I took apart the figure (the head and arms snap off) and started with the head. This is beige acrylic paint applied with a fan paintbrush since there was a large area to cover. I layered on about 3 coats, promptly dropped it on the floor while it was still wet, and had to start from scratch. Aaaahhhhh....urrghhh!!

finished head turn around

His skin tone is acrylic paint, the hair was done in a super fat black sharpie marker, and his facial features were all drawn in a fine sharpie paint pen. The blood streaks are drawn on with a Copic marker.


Next step was the body and arms. I sketched his armor on in pencil first, the post you seeing sticking out of the neck hole is a shading stump. It's a lot easier when you don't have to grasp the body itself and have something else to hold onto.

one completed arm

in-progress body being painted


And he's done! (I love how grumpy looking he turned out) People do some amazing things with these custom, DIY toys. One of my favorite artists at the moment is 64Colors. You can check out some of their work on their Flickr page here.

No comments:

Post a Comment