Monday, April 21, 2014

Kanji GO N5

Oh wow...a lot has happened since my last post in December. I don't know if you would call it a resolution, but I am going to attempt to be better at blogging my artwork from now on. By better I guess I mean more regular. 4 months in between posts is unacceptable!

Since I last posted a multitude of "life" things has happened, some good and unfortunately most not-so-good. But this is an art blog, and I don't feel like rehashing them here; so the short version is that Husband and I have left Oregon and are now living in my hometown in Alaska for the forseeable future to try and put away some savings.

But what I really want to talk about is my app! This thing has been in the works for a little less than 2 years now (oh wow has it been that long?!) and we - we being myself, my friends Anne and Savannah back in Oregon - are in the final review stage. I could not be more excited and happier to finish this thing! It's been a long, extremely difficult learning curve. This is the first app any of us have ever created and we decided to jump right in over our heads and design a kanji learning app. In Japanese. Without English. Yup.

The goal is to teach the kanji needed to pass the N5 test, in Japanese. Needless to say, the intended audience of our app is not for beginners. It's for students of Japanese, coming from any language or background, who already have a knowledge of katakana and hiragana. The Japanese government recognizes this test as a measure of proficiency in the language. It is used to show how fluent you are when applying to jobs or schools in Japan. N1 is the hardest level, being near fluent. N5 is the easiest level, being able to understand basic Japanese.

But let's see the app! Below are a few screenshots of what it will look like. The first is the "splash screen," or what you will see when the app is loading.

splash screen

This next screen is the main menu, where all the kanji is broken up into "sets," which are grouped by their subject. Set 1 inculdes numbers, set 2 includes days of the week, etc.

main menu

This 2nd menu shows all the interactions. Each one comes immediately after the learner finishes a kanji set. It's a way to test your knowledge while viewing the kanji used in a real-life situation. For example, interaction 9 is a student's school schedule, and the kanji you may find written there.

interaction menu

The bulk of the app is made up of "kanji learning screens," which show the stroke order and  おんよみ "onyomi" and くんよみ "kunyomi." Onyomi and kunyomi are 2 different types of readings for a kanji, since a kanji character's meaning can change depending on what's written next to it.

kanji learning screen

Our app will be released for Android, so please look for it soon on the Google Play store!

No comments:

Post a Comment